Tuesday 30 March 2010

Alpine Swift

Day off today (and tomorrow) the initial plan was to go to grove ferry and see what was happening over there, but the rain hammering against the window saw me being lazy. I had a walk around reserve x and managed to see 3 Brambling, including one full summer male, a real peachy bird, also in the vicinity were 18 Lesser redpoll singing and calling continuously. After arriving home and checking the internet I saw that the Alpine Swift was back on Thannet so a short twitch was on! I do not know the Thannet roads at all so got lost a couple of times, just as I thought I must be getting close the bird flew over my car giving superb views. I found somewhere to park and joined the other Thannet regulars and enjoyed prolonged views of the bird, albeit into the light for a lot of the time I managed a few record shots but there are far better ones out there of this bird. While watching the bird there was a fairly steady flow of Swallows passing over, probably totalling about 30 in the hour I was present, also 2 White Wagtails flew onto the golf course for another sub sp. Yr tick. A good end to what I thought would be a very poor day. Tomorrow Pallid swift and Penduline Tit at Grove Ferry??...Dream on!


No comments:

Post a Comment