Sunday 10 October 2010

My 400th British Bird

After a slow start to a very promising weekend I finally got my 400th British bird, or should that be 400th bird seen in Britain!
Saturday- Winterton circuit with parents and girlfriend, slightly quieter than hoped for, but still managed 3 Redstarts 2 Ring Ouzels, 40+ Bramblings and a Sooty Shearwater, as well as a few more common migrants.


Sunday- WeBS count at Buckenham Marshes. I managed to miss the Red Necked Phalarope, was not there when I walked past but flew in for 10 mins while I was at Cantley. I did manage to find a rather smart Ring Ouzel in the bushes near the fleet though, which made up for it, not an easy Yare Valley bird. Also added Little stint to Yare list.
After a walk around Brundall area I got wind of the Isabelline Wheatear at Lowerstoft. I had to go really, I have wanted to see an issy for ages so couldn't resist the 30min drive. Cracking little bird, very showy in nice evening light. Very interesting to be able to admire the birds subtle differences to Northern, Plumage wise it probably was not as different to Northern as I would have thought it to be, however a close inspection made it look quite different the shape was quite distinctive, more stonechat like at times, as well as the washed out plumage pale fore super, pale underwings, stout bill and the classic black alula. All in all a very nice bird to put me on the 400 mark. I still have some gaping holes to fill but thats half the fun!

Amazing how straight it got in the classic pose, also note its quite porky belly, looks well fed!


1 comment: