Sunday 27 August 2017

Caspian/yellow legged gull?

On the evening of 13th August Dave Hawkins and I were watching the gull roost at Titchwell.
We soon noticed the gull pictured below, which stood out as looking a little different. The features that made it stand out were- paralel sided pale horn coloured yellow bill (quite different to all other gulls in the area), upright stance with high chest and bulging feathers behind the legs, leg colour was a pastey pinkish colour and mantle colour looked paler than yellow legged, but slightly darker than herring (although light was harsh and mantle colours were changing as the gulls turned etc.) I am no expert at large gulls and with this gull in wing moult (two primaries missing?) I am not sure about the open wing formula.
I must admit that in 'real life' it appeared a better fit for Caspian than the photos suggest, especially the high chested elegent upright appearence, I dont seem to have captured this at all well, however I guess the camera doesnt lie when it comes to the wing formula!
Can anyone help with the identification?












Here pictured with a yellow legged gull preening on left (appears darker grey in pic and in observation through scope)

1 comment:

  1. I think spot one on with the Caspian Gull. Got the long neck and weird upright posture. Also the beak and slightly lighter back than the YLG. Still looking for both of these gulls on my life list.

    ReplyDelete