Friday 8 March 2013

first patch ticks of spring

A day at Cantley yesterday added a few of the easier waders to the patchbirding list.With waders coming back to breed and the early migrants going through March can be quite good at Mid Yare.

Yesterdays additions were Black tailed Godwit- 60+, Green Sandpiper- 3, Grey Wagtail-2 and Oystercatcher 6+.

An Osprey was seen on Wednesday, shame I missed that one, would have been a very early migrant.
More annoying was the fact that I was working all Sunday and a colleague that was sitting in the reception hide all day failed to tell me there were a pair of Smew at the fen on Sunday. The most annoying fact of it all was on weds when he said- you have seen Smew this year haven't you? the fact there have been no smew yet at strumpshaw in 2013 would have given the answer added to the fact that I saw him every hour of the day without any mention was cause for quite a bit of annoyance. I suspect a few readers of this blog would have appreciated a call to RBA to see a pair of smew at the fen too. Oh well at least there's another winter...
Apologies, rant over- I'm sure it wont be the first of the year though- every bird counts now that I have seen the competitions January figures!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment