Friday 28 October 2011

Another nice day out East

Looking at the winds late last week I decided that today could be good and duly booked a day off.
I headed out to Horsey Gap first of all to catch up with the Daurian Shrike which has been present all week, this was a new Norfolk bird for me and the second Issy shrike I have seen, the last being in 2002 on the Scilly's. This one was far more showy than that one and even when I tried to slip by and leave the bird it flew in for a closer look, great bird!
The bushes held very little, far less than hoped but undeterred I headed on to waxham to see what was doing there. Again Shangri La cottage bushes were relatively quiet save for a single Goldcrest and a slight rarity in the form of a Great Spotted Woodpecker (in off?). While checking the bushes a typical Tickty tick tick chuu call was heard coming from inland, the Lapland Bunting was then located flying straight towards me then headed North along the dunes.
With the bushes lacking in passerines, although it felt as if something could fly in at any time, I had a look at the sea. I was watching for about 45 mins and clocked up an impressive 150-200 Little Gulls, a few Kittiwakes, 8 Red Throated Divers, a few Gannets and Guillemots, no hoped for Little Auks.
A very nice day to be out and about, glad to get the Shrike and Little Gull was a year tick too, hopefully tomorrow will produce a rarity, now where to find it?!





 I managed a couple of shots of a Cetti's Warbler at Strumpshaw the other day, I must admit they looked far better on the screen on the camera, but I thought I'd whack them on here anyway.





No comments:

Post a Comment