Monday 17 January 2011

first few moths of the year

On Friday I decided that the 9 degrees at midnight war warranted a bit of January moth trapping so set up the mv at work. Slightly dissapointing was the fact that the only 2 moths were caught, and both of them were on the wall, although the pale brindled Beauty was a new one for me the other was a Mottled Umbar. Feeling a little let down I packed up the trap and headed back to the car where I noticed the security light had 5 moths around it! 3 Winter moths, 1 Mottled Umbar and an Early Moth, another new one, typical how a security light did so much better than the moth trap, I have heard that actinic is better for the cold weather moths, perhaps its true??



I have also realised over the past few weeks how much I am missing insects, I cant wait for spring to get to grips with the moths, dragonflies, hoverflies, bees and whatever else I decide on in the area, I shouldn't wish my life away but I bet I'm not alone in wanting spring to appear.
I have the target of 500 species of moth this year and have a list of new species to target, so far I have the 2 I can get in Jan so all good so far!

After that excitement the weekend was spent doing things other than birding although I did do a Hen Harrier roost count at Strumpshaw on Sunday afternoon. I got a few reserve yearticks including a surprise flyby female Goosander, very nice, however the nearby Red necked grebe still has not come onto the reserve. Totals for Harriers included 15 Marsh and 3 Hens, not bad considering it was pretty windy. The strumpshaw list is now up to 81 and the year list is up to 119, still plenty of time to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment