Sunday 1 August 2010

A week in Devon



Last week was spent in the lovely South Devon, returning to some of my university haunts, a really good week with all the family. We spent the week in a thatched cottage in the village of Galmton, just SW of Kingsbridge, a great location for the SW coast path and general peaceful countryside.

Dad had his moth trap with him so we did mange to catch a few new species, maybe not quite as many as hoped for (especially in regard to micros) however there was a fairly good selection.
New for the me were;
Thrift Clearwing
4 Spotted footman
Royal Mantle
Mullein Wave
Crescent Dart
White line Snout
Sharp Angled Peacock
Brussels Lace

and new for the year;
Magpie
Small Pheonix
There were a few new micros too, however I am awaiting confirmations from dad before posting.







Bird wise I caught up on a few (shameful) year ticks including Kittiwake, Guillimot, Manx Shearwater and Shag. unfortunately the only Cirl Bunting I had was singing briefly but did not show itself, I checked the song to make sure, shame I didn't see one of these cracking birds though.



One new dragonfly for the list in the form of a Beautiful Demoiselle, a sign that I have not been out if East Anglia for a while! Also seen were at least 5 Golden Ringed Dragons which I managed to capture slightly better than in Wales.



No comments:

Post a Comment