Sunday 22 August 2010

Back in Norfok

Its good to be back here in Norfolk, as much as I liked Kent, its so nice to get away from an overcrowded place where the main thing you hear is road noise. I am currently sitting in my lounge looking over Buckenham Marshes listening to swallows chattering on the gate posts...nice.

First full day in the Strumpshaw area today and spent the majority of the day at the reserve. Highlights included the regular reedbed birds, Bittern flyby, bearded tits, marsh harriers, kingfishers as well as other nice, but expected birds.
I had 1 main target today though, knowing that there was a sighting of Willow Emerald Damselfly on the reserve last year I thought I would spend a bit of time checking the willows overhanging the still ditches. After about an hour of searching what seemed to be prime habitat my bins locked onto 4 pale pterastigmas and the unmistakable features of a Willow Emerald Damselfly, a further 2 were seen mating as well as another individual. So as far as I know its the only Norfolk location of this spreading species and my sighting is the first of multiple individuals, a good first day back! Also it means that I have managed to see all four Emerald damselflies of the UK, even better I have self found all 4 this year without having to twitch anyone elses, great stuff!....back to birds soon I promise.




No comments:

Post a Comment