Wednesday 9 June 2010

Firstly I probably should have titled the blog 'Bens [winter] birding [and summer mothing] blog! the birds have gone fairly quiet but moths are beginning to get good.

I took the MV to reserve X on Sat night and managed to catch 142 moths of 41 species in just 2 hrs, other than that I have been trapping in my garden which has been quite productive.

I have managed to get up to 140 species for the year now with the following moths added recently;
Those in Bold are new for me, I was particularly pleased with the scarce chocolate tip today! I also had a pyralid which is Phyctaenia perlucidalis another new one which seems to be quite local.

Waved Umbar.......... 1082 Plum Tortrix
Flame shoulder......... Mottled Pug
Ringed china mark.... Ghost Moth
Chilo phragmitella .....1458 Thistle Ermine
Common Marbled carpet
Ringed china mark...... Chinese Character
246 Tinea semifulvella.... 148 Nemophora degeerella
Burnished Brass......... Light Emerald
Tawny marbled minor..... Poplar grey
247 Tinea trinotella...... Pretty chalk carpet
Yellow barred brindle...... Scarce chocolate tip
Brimstone....... Iron prom
Cream bordered green pea
Scorched wing....... Flame
Large Yellow Underwing....... Snout
Small Elephant Hawkmoth
Small square spot......... Mottled Rustic
Obscure Wainscot

I am getting roughly 100 moths of 40-50 species in the garden mv at the moment and adding 5-10 species each time the light goes on so more of the same would be good.


Photos show scarce choc tip, thistle ermine, obscure wainscot, tinea trinotella, (Phyctaenia perlucidalis?) and yellow barred brindle


No comments:

Post a Comment