Wednesday 21 March 2012

+2 for Mid Yare Bird List

The past week has seen me add two new species to my Mid-Yare bird list.
These were the fantastic 4 Glossy Ibis's at Cantley much easier here than wandering countless miles around Berney, (glad I waited) this species was also a Norfolk tick.

The second bird, probably the rarer of the two (for Strumpshaw) was Red Breasted Merganser, a female has been hanging around Tower Hide at Strumpy for about 3-4 weeks now, however it seemed to avoid being there when I was present, until today. I managed to see it after tinkering with the sluice to the sound of Chiffchaffs all along the river bank as well as up to 12 dancing harriers.


I had the moth trap on near the office on Tuesday night, it was quite chilly but still. The trap held just over 200 moths, mainly small quakers, however lead coloured drab, red chestnut and engrailed were the highlights in a quaker/drab filled trap..
EDIT: The Lead Coloured Drab was a new moth species for me, the first addition of 2012

Given the weather for this week, I'm sure there will be quite a few migrants about this weekend, I actually have a day off this weekend too!

No comments:

Post a Comment