Sunday 16 June 2013

A swift dash to Suffolk

A brilliant first Father's Day present was the fine Pacific Swift at Trimley.
I arrived at the crowds just as a pager message said that it had not been seen for an hour and a half... Great! I only had an hour or so to connect so the pressure was on and this was not the best news. Amazingly about 5 mins of waiting and the bird showed distantly at first then right overhead and straight across the river! At this point a lot of people left, but greedily I wanted more! 10 mins of intense scanning and it was back in my bins for another 5 mins showing well over the pools. Awesome bird, one I never thought I'd connect with. It also appears that just for a change my timing was perfect, keeping me out of the doghouse and not having to stand around for long. Almost certainly one of the only ticks I expect to get this year and its going to be difficult to beat for rarity status!

In other news the patch birding is going well, I'm currently in 17th place in the national league, which is really good for an inland site which has not had many rarities this year...so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment